Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Las Vegas-Valley of Fire State Park

 Tom asked why we were going to this park an all I could answer is I found the name interesting. 

We came in the west entrance and immediately had Big Horn Sheep on the side of the road. This was our first wildlife sighting. The rock structure in the park is different, I understand why the name is Valley of Fire. I can easily imagine the rocks as being flames. The park has one main road with a few side roads and one scenic loop. We took every road we were allowed on that was open. 

I am fascinated by the colors of the rocks we are seeing, how one layer is cream and the next layer is dark. I find this fascinating. Took us several hours to get through this park and was well worth the drive. We left via the East entrance on a road that paralleled Lake Mead. Mostly a boring road but in good shape. Many pull-offs but there is no warning that one is coming. We were pretty much the only car on the road. Lake Mead is very low and has been low for years. There are now concerns that Hoover Dam will not be able to generate electricity in coming  years.  

Valley of Fire State Park  Click here




 

 

No comments: