Saturday, June 15, 2019

Fairbanks 1







The plan was to collapse, rest, stock up, haircuts etc the first 2-3 days in Fairbanks and we are on track for that. Even found a place to get the car washed!



I need to explain the supermarkets in Canada, needless to say they are small and carry a bare minimum. I look at them as a smal IGA type stores. The prices are so high that everyone tends to buy minimum, enough to carry them through until Alaska.



Once in Alaska we needed to restock pretty much everything. Today we went to Walmart and about $300 later came out with our food. Before we leave for Denali we will make another pass at Walmart/Safeway/Freddy Meyer and make sure we have everything we need to carry on for a long time. Supermarket shopping in small supemarkets is not a good experience and after Anchorage we are back to the small supermarkets. 


I had asked our hairdresser yesterday where to buy meat. She asked where we were heading and I told her Denali. She told us to stop at Three Bears in Healy, they had the best meat and prices. We will do that.

We also went to our first Costco now that we are members. Intersting experience. I liked that they have the wine/liquor is a separate part of the store with its own cashier. That had been our first stop on Sunday, we had no wine left since we had to cross the border.

Today we wandered the entire store, every aisle. We only bought about 10 items but there is no express checkout or self checkout at this Costco so we had to wait in line. I knew they didn’t have an app where I could scan the items I bought and go right to the door. Sams has that and I really like it.

Tomorrow we will start playing tourist in Fairbanks.
 


No comments: